Monday 10 August 2015

We cannot be indifferent.

While in New Orleans I came across a homeless man holding a sign saying "homeless hungry veteran" near Canal and Bourbon Street. At least 300 people had walked past him paying him no mind.
He was probably in his early 60's and I just looked at his sign and passed wishing I had some cash to give him. Then I grabbed my partners arm and turned back to him. I just spent $45 on a meal and $10 on drinks. I could not just walk by when I had just spent so much money on more food than I could eat and on drinks that I didn't need.
I told him I had no money, but would be glad to buy him a meal if that would be okay. His eyes got big and he said, "ye-yeah."
We walked into the Krystal Burger and I told him he could order whatever he wanted. He just kind of looked at the menu so I suggested the chicken sliders for him. "That sounds good. Could you please order for me?" I was glad to, but felt such pain for him that he was so ostracized from society that he felt he couldn't even order a meal.
He came to New Orleans for a job from New Mexico. All of his family is in New Mexico. The painting company went under. Without a job and when you literally live pay check to check you cannot make ends meet long. He was evicted, can't find a job, and is now left on the streets.
Without access to the internet or a car this man that served our country in the Army is left sitting on Bourbon street at 11 p.m. hoping someone is kind enough to give him money so he can eat.
I asked him if there were any shelters that he knew of, and he said he tried them but every time he went they were in such bad conditions that he got sick so he won't go back...
In a country of such tremendous wealth how can atrocities like this occur?
We are often guilty of thinking that homeless people are just bums, but if you put yourself in their shoes you can understand how hard it is to get off of your feet. The only reason I have what I do today is because of my supportive family and connections.
If you have the ability to buy someone a meal then please do it. No one can progress if they are constantly worried about survival.
After I wished him well and walked away I just felt helpless that I couldn't do more. But my partner reminded me that I just made a difference in his life and if that's all I can do right now then I need to be proud of that.
"The opposite of love is not hate, it is indifference." - Elie Wiesel, Holocaust survivor

No comments:

Post a Comment